Yoon S. Ham • Senior Partner
Yoon S. Ham concentrates his practice in the area of intellectual property law, including prosecuting United States and foreign patents, patent litigation, intellectual property licensing, and preparing opinions on patent validity and infringement. He counsels clients on the protection, enforcement, licensing and acquisition of patent, trademark, copyright, and other intellectual property rights. In connection therewith, Mr. Ham conducts negotiations and prepares agreements and related documents.
Education: Franklin Pierce Law Center, JD, 1994; Franklin Pierce Law Center, Master of Intellectual Property, 1992; Korea University, MS, 1986 (Electrical Engineering); Korea University, BS, 1984 (Electrical Engineering)
Foreign Language Capabilities: Korean
Practice Highlights & Technologies
Mr. Ham has extensive experience in negotiating technology licensing, distribution and supply agreements as well as other types of international commercial contracts. His clients include international Fortune 500 companies as well as small emerging technology and manufacturing companies in electronics, telecommunications, computer software and hardware, metal, optical, and consumer goods industries. Mr. Ham helps those clients define and protect their intellectual property while exploiting its competitive advantage. He also brings hands-on industry experience, having worked as a semiconductor research engineer for a major Korean electronics corporation.
Bar Admissions: District of Columbia Bar; Pennsylvania Bar; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Publications & Presentations
Mr. Ham is a frequent speaker at various industries, universities and professional associations around the world. Recently, he lectured at Asian Pacific Intellectual Property Association in Taiwan (April, 2008), Korea Patent Attorneys Association in Korea (September 2008), Korea Electronics Association (September 2008), and regularly conducts seminars for corporate in-house counsels and patent departments of numerous companies in Taiwan, China and Korea. Mr. Ham was the keynote speaker at the Annual Joint Conference of the Korea and Japan Patent Attorneys Associations (October, 2004).
He also contributes articles to numerous publications, including The Monthly Intellectual Property Magazine of Korea, Korea Mail Daily Business Newspaper, IP Journal and Patent & Invention.
- Patent Prosecution Strategy in view of KSR v. Teleflex, Invention and Patent, pp. 28-32 (August 2007)
- A U.S. Patent lawyer on K Street, Noblesse, pp. 473-474 (February 2006)
- Introduction to New Inter Parte Reexamination Proceeding in U.S., Invention and Patent, pp. 62-64 (June 2003)
- Protecting Domain Name and Trademarks from Cyber Squatter, Invention and Patent, pp. 42-47 (Feb. 2003)
- Invention and Patent, Hankuk Daily News (April 27, 1995)
- Introduction of Website-Bounty Quest, Korean Maeil Daily Business Newspaper (April 22, 2000)
- Proving Invention Date in Obtaining U.S. Patent, IP Journal (Spring 1996) • GATT Changes Patents, The Monthly Intellectual Property Magazine of Korea, pp. 50-54 (May 1995)
- Patentability of Software Related Inventions, The Monthly Intellectual Property Magazine of Korea, pp. 22-26 (July 1993); pp. 24-32 (August 1993); pp. 38-42 (September 1993).